 Off-Topic / Debate / 8837
Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 14:42:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Low writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jon Kozan writes:
Evolution is not observable.

See Larry's post here:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=8724

Oh, but that's just MY view of the observations and how they fit together.
The serious creationist will easily dismiss the evidence of bacterial
evolution by saying "God has changed the bugs in our lifetime to teach us
the folly of thinking that we can make drugs to interfere with his plan on
who should die when, and to teach us the hubris of trying to solve the Babel
of the genetic code so that we can do things like correct defects prior to
conception... after all, those deformed babies doomed to a short life of
suffering are part of God's plan and who are we to question it?"

Or something like that.

I've changed my mind about Creationism. I'm all for it.

It's pretty awesome when you can explain any observation away that you like
by just saying that God wanted it to come out that way, so it did.

What a time savings! Instead of having to do the hard slog of taking a
series of reproducible observations, analysing the data, making hypothesis
after hypothesis to try to explain it, designing experiments to test your
findings, then subjecting the results to all those nasty peers who delight
in nothing better than finding flaws and gleefully pointing them out,
everything is already all explained for you.

And even if your theory survives that peer review, at some point someone is
likely to come out with a better theory anyway. Talk about frustrating!
Nope, I prefer creationism. It explains everything so NEATLY. There is no
need to worry about someone coming up with a better theory, you can reject
any attempt at correction out of hand. And if you still want to argue, you
can argue about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Important
stuff like that.

None of those nasty loose ends where we haven't figured out stuff yet, none
of those rough approximations because we don't yet have the maths we need,
etc. It's all in one big package: God did it, told us about it, and there
*are* no loose ends. All you have to do is suspend the idea that your senses
are usually accurate and that logic usually works to figure things out.

All neat and tidy. Just like a Swanson TV dinner. No thinking required. I
get all tired of thinking anyway.

And if we creationists can get our non scientific "theory" taught in schools
on an equal footing with real science that actually hews to the scientific
method, just think of what that can accomplish! Not too many generations
more and we will have washed away all that nasty technical progress, because
people won't know how to think any more. Better, we will have taught them
that their brains are no good at figuring stuff out and that they can't ever
trust their senses. That'll make them nice and docile, nice and
controllable, and they'll look to those in on the gag for guidance.

Then we can go back to burning people at the stake for questioning stuff or
being accused of being witches. Then we can go back to building big palaces
for the bishops and cardinals and having lots of great parties. None of that
nasty freedom needed here! Ain't it great? Where do I sign up? Ludditeism
got a bad name, anyway.

++Lar