 Off-Topic / Debate / 8796
Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 20:19:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
If you have not actually verified for yourself that Brazil exists, you take
it on faith (or don't, I suppose...).  It doesn't matter how large or small
the body of evidence is, you are still CHOOSING to accept or not accept it.
Any and all evidence that you do not directly observe is testimonial in
nature.  The difference in accepting Brazil on faith and accepting God on
faith is a matter of degree, not of kind.  (which is, I think, where this
particular branch started)

Again, find a reproducable test - simply trying to argue semantics is a
confusion of faith-based religion with evidence-based science.

We're fairly obviously working with different defintions of faith & evidence.

What David (I think) & I are basically saying is that we take *everything*
on faith.

To function as individuals & as groups, we make certain assumptions, the two
most basic of which are that the world is consistent to our perceptions of
it (constancy of objects) and that our thought processes are valid
(constancy of self).

We make these assumptions at all levels.  You are assuming (in a broad
sense) that there is no vast conspiracy to convince you of the existence of
Brazil.  You believe there is no such conspiracy - you take it on faith.
You have no evidence one way or the other.  (Occam's razor does not address
certainty, it addresses probability)

Do you see what I'm driving at here?  I'm not trying to say your basic
assumptions aren't valid, or that you shouldn't be making those assumptions
- I'm trying to get you to acknowledge that they *are* assumptions, and
differ only in degree from other assumptions you may (or may not) be making.

A quick example is that you've (I'm assuming) taken it on faith that I'm
someone named James.  You don't have evidence either way - and regardless of
whether or not you can get that evidence, right now, it's an assumption, and
a matter of faith.

James