 Off-Topic / Debate / 8793
Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 20:04:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jon Kozan writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jon Kozan writes:

In fact the odds are so _not_ with [life's formation] (about 1 in 10 with 50,
give or take 10, zeros chance) that we could never have come into being
without some other force/being/etc behind it.

Exactly!  And evolution is that force!

(It's Friday, so I have time to do this :-))

  Okay, but recognize outright that I was being light-hearted.

Random chance cannot product life. the odds are just too far much.  Indeed
today's leading edge evolution scientists have either a) ceased discussing the
random chance and time tenants of evolution since they don't work out; or b)
claim that because they don't, we must have come from an alien race (another
intelligent life form)

  Which scientists?  In this and our previous exhanges you often cite
"respected scientists" without naming names.  I'd be interested to hear who
you're referring to.  You likewise cite hugely improbable odds without
giving references, and, given my well-known lack of faith, I am disinclined
to believe you at face value.
  It is agreed unquestionably that full-formed human life does not spring
into being from disassociated salts and minerals, but really basic forms can
conceivably do so.  The fact that we haven't witnessed it isn't important;
the mathematical chance is not zero, and we have the whole of spacetime in
which to experiment.
  For that matter, evolution is indeed a "force" in the same figurative way
that one might say "Mayor Smith is a force for change."  Mayor Smith is not
a force, either.  No one thinks that Evolution the Entity is standing behind
life's development pushing us along.

     Dave!