 Off-Topic / Debate / 8761
Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 23:04:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

He didn't start out with a 'divine' faith-- moreover, he
DERIVED a divine faith FROM his faith in himself. And as a result, most
prominent Christians had a hissy fit over it. Basically, by NOT addressing
God, it violates creationist theory. Your mother may be an anthropologist
who believes in the theory of evolution, and at the same time is Christian,
but is she actually a CREATIONIST?

Who said she was a creationist?  You lost me on that one.  The point was
that  that you don't have to be a creationist to be a Christian.

I think that was HIS point too - reread what he typed ;-)

Ummm, actually looking back on the string, Steve was making the assumption
that "Darwinists" are atheists by definition.  They aren't - evolution
doesn't address God.  Now, a Darwinist can be an atheist, but they also may
not be, which is what my point was (despite what I wrote above).  I think
Dave (oh geez, you snipped the credits line - I think it was Dave) was
saying you can't be a Darwinist AND a Creationist by definition, which I
won't argue with.  The hubris that is involved is supposing that to be a
Christian, you must be a Creationist - which is probably Steve's outlook,
but I'll leave it to him to answer.

Oh, and I wasn't sure about his 6000 year date - refering to the age of the
Bible rather than the earth?  Again, his comment needs clarification.
Geologically speaking, there's a staggering number of ways to figure the
earth is older than 6000 years (my favorite being sea-floor spreading
combined with magnetic pole reversal).

I suppose if he was refering to the Bible, I should ask which version: King
James?  Catholic?  Mormon?  Jehovah's Witness?  Perhaps this answers his
statement in and of itself...
:-)

Bruce