 Off-Topic / Debate / 8751
8750  |  8752
Subject:
Science is not a religion, and religion is not a science.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 18:36:07 GMT

And on another note, isn't science just another form of religion? The only
difference I find is that the 'faith' we put into the scientific method is a
LOT more hard to dispute than the 'faith' one might put into Christianity.

  That's because we don't put 'faith' in the scientific method; that is, we
don't accept it outright and pretend it's an absolute.  It is the system
currently best able to help us arrive at conclusions and explanations for
observed phenomena.  Religion by definition revolves around the worship or
service of either a higher power or a system of beliefs; science does not.
Religion entails a faith in that belief system, and faith by definition
cannot be falsified or proven by empirical evidence (since that would
preclude the need for faith); science entails an examination and description
of observed phenomena in the natural world.  Science does *not* involve
faith; in fact, the opposite is true.  The goal of science is to subject
observations of the universe to intense and logical scrutiny so that a more
complete description of the universe may arise.
The failure to distinguish between science and non-science
("creation-science" being the latter, for instance) has plagued numerous
debates here over the past several months. Including science under the
umbrella of religion both demonstrates a misunderstanding of the nature of
science and a real dilution of the term "religion."

   Dave!