 Off-Topic / Debate / 8727
Re: Theory vs. practice (was Re: Polyamory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 16:46:05 GMT

All of what I say below is plowed ground, stuff I and others have said
before, so those that pay attention are invited to skip this entire post.
They already know this stuff.

Scott, though, might want to pay attention, for once. I won't hold my breath
based on his track record, but if we can at least get him to stop repeating
himself, that's a minor win.

Scott keeps dredging...

Balance snipped.

Out of curiousity, Larry, do you think anyone other than you or Scott really
cares about any of this?

If it is all plowed ground, why post it all again?

Is it so necessary for you to feel good about your debating technique that you
find it worth your time to post diatribes like this?  You should know full well
by now that Scott is going to either ignore this, or (worse) post a response
you find to be less than what you were after, thus getting you wound up again.
I don't remember who said it first, but I've often seen it quoted:  "The
definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and
expecting different results."  By that score, you've been around the bend for
quite some time now.

Several times reasonable people have asked you and Scott to take your ranting
and arguing elsewhere, to email or what have you.  People in lugnet.general
have discussed ways to restrict posting to lugnet.off-topic.debate simply to
avoid the "Scott vs. Larry" factor.

But I'm addressing this to you for a few reasons:

First, I'm pretty sure at this point that Scott is trolling you.  Remarkably
successfully.  He posts two or three lines, and like a well-trained troll
victim, you crank out page after page of result.  Kudos to Scott on his
trolling ability.  But a troll is a troll, and I doubt he's going to stop.

Which brings me to my second reason- you seem at this point to be the one who
keeps bringing it out.  You expect Scott to respond in a way he's just not
going to respond in.  You can't make him, it's just not going to happen.
You're playing by a different set of rules than he is, and he's not going to
agree to your set.  But you keep engaging him, and getting upset when he
doesn't respond.  Scott is content to throw his 2 cents into just about any
debate, and the rest of Lugnet, for the most part, seems to recognise that it's
not worth fighting him over.  You seem, in many ways, to be a reasonable guy...
when are you going to realise it's just not worth your (apparently valuable)
time?  Other than give you high blood pressure, what does it do for you?
Surely you realise it's both futile and, ultimately, useless even if you did
"win".

I'm not interested in turning this into a debate between you and I- which, I'm
sure, means you're going to dismiss all of this as being a "drive-by", or
whatever pseudo-debating or consulting term you see fit.  I guess I'm just
trying to get it through your head that the way you carry on with Scott is
useless and childish, and ultimately is making you look very very bad to Lugnet
as a whole.

In reality, this probably makes me just as insane as you, if we're still
following the above definition.

Anyway, I'm posting this as an open letter to you so that everyone can have
ample opportunity to agree or disagree as they see fit.  I do hope, as insane
as it might make me, that you think about the above just for yourself.  Don't
answer me, because in all likelihood I won't even bother to read it.  Instead,
take the time you would have spent crafting a reply to meditate to yourself on
what you hope to gain by continuing to engage Scott.  Is it really worth
choking lugnet.off-topic.debate?  Is it worth looking like a prat?  Is it worth
being Scott's troll victim?  Is it even worth your time?

I don't think it's worth any of that.

eric