 Off-Topic / Debate / 8675
Re: Problems with Christianity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 19:11:02 GMT

SRC wrote:
Again - premise - Not only do you assume that morals develop over time,
but more importantly, you base everything on evolution - the foundation
of sand I was referring to.  The theory of evolution is absurd, so
consequently any hypothesis you base upon it will also be untrue.

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jennifer Clark writes:
Would you mind if I clarified something here, as much for myself as anyone
else?

There frequently seems to be confusion between Evolution and the Theory of
Evolution.
[snip a bunch]

VERY important distinction, and one that I touched on a little, I think, but
not very much... And on that note-- Steve, could you be a little (a lot,
really) more specific on which you meant, and what aspects you disagree
with? I think the extent of your disagreement with my theory as put forth was:

"The theory of evolution is absurd, so consequently any hypothesis you base
upon it will also be untrue."

- If you meant Darwin's 'theory of evolution', then I think you misinterpret
MY theory, because I don't really base it off of the physical evolution of a
species. Hence, maybe a reiteration of my theory is in order

- If you meant the idea of evolution, then, as Jennifer points out, it HAS
been demonstrated to be at the VERY least plausible, so I'm curious as to
your disputes with the idea of evolution itself.

Basically, in order to continue debate, you MUST be specific and clear in
your disagreements, or else I'm forced to merely guess at what you mean. And
then my premises are wrong, and you'll tell me so, and devaluate my
arguments. Hence, please let me know YOUR premises, because I'm quite eager
to continue the debate without having to start over each time...

DaveE