 Off-Topic / Debate / 8552
Re: My Gun Control Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 04:29:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Markus Wolf writes:

How about cigarette consumption.  How many lives do cigarettes take every
year?  I have no idea.

400,000 in the US, which is now one of the lowest smoking rate nations in the
world.

You bet your ass tobacco is more dangerous than firearms!

Chris

    And we could take it a step further.  How many of those firearm deaths
are alchohol related?  I have no way of finding that statistic, but there
must be a percentage.

    I sincerely feel bad for the good, ordinary people of Canada, as well as
the "frightened of guns" masses.  I wonder why they don't see gun education
as an answer, just as one would see drug abuse education as an answer.
Sure, you can't get rid of any problem entirely, but understanding the
dangers of alchohol, cigarettes, AIDS, automobiles, and guns will give
people the ability to make better choices.

Markus