 Off-Topic / Debate / 8534
Re: My Gun Control Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 23:07:30 GMT

James Powell wrote:

I believe I have stated elsewhere in this thread, that I think that some
portions of the law are stupid.  I think that what has been implmented so far
is probably not overly restrictive- having to know which end of the gun to
point at the target is not all that bad of a idea before you own one...if you
ask me :).  However, I do agree that the law as it stands will not do all that
much to reduce crime.  It will elminate some crimes, such as the shooting in
1996 or so of a British tourist in the Ottawa area by two teens who had bought
ammo at a Canadian Tire store- with nether one of them being of legal age to
pruchase ammo at the time, but no requirement to card, so the store sold the
ammo, and the tourist ended up dead due more to stupidity than anything else.

So, tell me again, WHY in the heck do we have to get a liscense to
purchase amunition?  What's wrong with a drivers liscence or other
proof-of-age certificate?  Oh, how dumb of me, could it be that there IS
a reason we have to shell out huge amounts of money for the new
liscence?

Even with the new liscence - your statement "It WILL eliminate some
crimes..." is incorrect, "It COULD eliminate some crimes...." ---
underage people buy alcohol and cigarettes everyday.

--
-TiM
NB, CA