 Off-Topic / Debate / 826
Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 14:25:20 GMT

"Christopher L. Weeks" wrote:

already killed for you. And really, what are the odds, of you going
to a bank or shop, and arriving, or being present, for an
armed robbery?

It happens all the time.  (Not me, but someone.)

Infinitessimal. And would you really, truly want
everyone to be armed for such an unlikely eventuality.

Yes.

Just one point here. (Christoper is doing fine otherwise)

There is no need for EVERYONE to be armed. An armed populace does not
mean 100% heated. 1% or even 1/10% is all it takes. Not everyone in the
old west was a gunslinger, but it was a far more civilized and polite
place than NY NY is today, despite tough anti gun laws in NY, and
despite marauding bands of oppressed and disenfranchised people in the
old west. (1)

If there's a fair chance that when I try an armed robbery, someone is
going to blow me away on my way out of the building, I'm going to be a
lot less likely to try it. Most criminals are not stupid, just morally
flawed. I'd rather a criminal try a secret robbery via computer than a
brazen one via gun. As for the stupid criminals, think of it as
evolution in action.

These statistics will be rejected by those that aren't already
convinced, of course, but the statistics show concealed carry laws DO
reduce crime, and typically less than 1% of the population gets a
permit.

1 - not defending what was done there, but it would have been done with
or without guns, and at least the Indians took some of the tyrants with
them. Little big horn was a glorious day for the US, Custer got what he
had coming. Ask yourself why the US wanted the Indians disarmed...

FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.