 Off-Topic / Debate / 8208
Re: Problems with Christianity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 17:12:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Steve Chapple writes:

That's good - many just blindly proceed along the path to destruction.

Having sucked up a whole previous debate's worth of this sort of
attack, I'm going to address this briefly.  I am not blind, nor am
I proceeding along a path of destruction any more certainly than you
are.  I'm sure it's possible to discuss religion rationally without
either side resorting to insulting the other...

I apologize if you were offended - my intent was not to be insulting.
If I see someone walking into a nuclear reactor, I presume that they
are doing so "blindly", and try to warn them of the danger - they
can't see the radiation that's killing them.

You could prove the existence of God or love in a court, but not a lab.

Really?  On what grounds?  Nonexistent eyewitness evidence?

Hundreds of eyewitnesses to the resurrection, millions who will testify
to their own experiences - hardly nonexistent.

Before you cite other historical events that similarly wouldn't hold
up in court, I will point out that "extraordinary claims demand
extraordinary evidence." That is, the evidence necessary to "prove"
that Hannibal crossed the Alps is fundamentally different from the
evidence necessary to "prove" that Jesus rose from the dead.

Fair enough - I don't think this would be the forum for such a proof
though.  As I stated in another post, we lack an impartial judge/jury.

3.  I would say that where you spend eternity is of utmost importance.
Christ spoke more about hell than He did about heaven.  The answers
to your questions are in the Bible.

Sure, if you assume outright that The Bible is correct.

Yes - I base everything upon the Word of God.  If you choose not to
accept the Bible "into evidence", you can't have much of a discussion
about Christianity or Biblical morals, can you?  :-)

I would return the question to you: if you base your ethical principles
on The Bible, how do you know that you're not backing the wrong theistic
horse?  Why not the teachings of Buddha or Mohammed?

Because there isn't a theistic horse race.  Buddha and Mohammed are
dead men - I serve the risen Lord who created everything and everyone,
including the "horses" in your "race".

SRC