 Off-Topic / Debate / 786
Re: Terms and Conditions Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 14:25:40 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:

On Tue, 11 May 1999 16:07:59 GMT, "James Brown"
<galliard@shades-of-night.com> wrote:

BTW, what's the scoop about Littleton and RPG?  I haven't heard any
links...

2:Wow, I'm feeling caustic today.  I guess a large part of it is that I get so
freakin' tired of how this stuff gets blown out of proportion.

I don't know that anything is being blown out of proportion.  Violence in
the US, specifically mass-shootings at schools, is awful.  But some people
seem intent on non-productive behavior, such as attempting to control
behavior via dress codes, or blaming the internet.

I'm just finishing up being a grad student in education and in a class I
was taking this past semester -- where many of the other students were
teachers -- I suggested during discussion that measures should be taken
in school to address the substantial ostracism that takes place by
teaching empathy, social skills, etc. from the early grades.  I was
jumped on for suggesting that it was anyone's fault but the perps'
(which I didn't do), and when I suggested that they'd been picked on for
quite a while, I was told that school kids don't usually harass other
school kids so much that the schools need to worry about it, and that it
couldn't have had anything to do with the Littleton massacre.  I was
flabbergasted.  It really scares me that my four year old son will be
going to school where the adults running the place think that kids are
kind and beneficent.

Anyway, this is an example (I guess) of people not wanting to eat their
share of the blame.

--
Sincerely,

Christopher L. Weeks