 Off-Topic / Debate / 7472
Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 18:41:19 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

  That works if the "drug" user is able to make that determination and if he
doesn't subsequently cause harm to others as a result of that drug use, and
in any case financial/criminal penalties may simply be too after-the-fact to
be of use unless some measure stands in place to prevent such
self-adjudication. Would you, for example, be comfortable undergoing surgery
if, after you were put under, the MD decided he could "handle" a few hits of
LSD before cutting you open?  In addition, an addict has lost the ability to
decide how much he can "handle," so his judgment is inherently faulty.

The most important factors in assuring that the doctor today won't take
an unwise hit of LSD are the same factors which libertarianism will use:

  I understand what you're saying, and as far as deterrent criteria, I agree
with the ones you've cited (and which I've snipped).  In the current system,
an illegal drug carries with it the direct penalty of its use, in addition
to whatever external consequences might ensue.  The particulars of the penal
system's handling of this issue will never be resolved in OT.Debate, but the
point is that the threat of prosecution allows compensation and punishment
apparently in excess of the repercussions you've cited.
  I think part of the problem is that, again, the addict (and for this, LSD
is a bad example; let's say heroin instead) loses the ability to judge his
capacity to handle the drug.  At that point, even in Libertopia, it seems he
is no longer a rational, able individual making informed and fully-disclosed
choices.  He is obeying his addiction.
  I admit that what follows is far from rock solid:  currently, as well as
in Libertopia (correct me if I'm wrong) an addict faces the potential loss
of employment, property, and family through repercussions of behaviors
brought on by feeding the addiction.  In addition, however, today's system
allows incarceration based on use of the drug, and it could be argued (not
entirely convincingly, I agree) that prison in that case helps him, since
he's unable to supply his addiction.  Of course, without actual rehab, the
likelihood of subsequent relapse is considerable, but that's another issue.

   Again, I recognize that this last part isn't ironclad.  It seems to me,
though, that even in an environment in which drugs are legal, an addict will
go to whatever lengths are necessary to acquire it.  An impoverished heroin
addict will still steal to fund his habit, even if heroin is dispensed at a
supermarket.  With that in mind, I don't see that legalization of drugs
would in any way eliminate the corrolary crime associated with them, even if
possession itself is no longer a crime.

    Dave!