 Off-Topic / Debate / 7262
Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 20:19:16 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Steve Bliss writes:

It's also my legal responsibility to prevent my kids from breaking the law,
which means I must make sure they do not use illegal drugs.

One should respect the law, rather than avoid breaking it. I suppose it is a
subtle difference. I choose not to take drugs not only because it is against
the law, but because I don't think it is not a good thing to do anyway.

My responsibility to my kids is to educate them about the drugs, and to educate
them about how to avoid law enforcement if they choose to use those drugs.  I
choose not to take drugs because they make you stuipd.  It has absolutely
nothing to do with the law.

Other than public drug-education programs, the police aren't
going to do anything to train my kids - that's my job.

It's not a good thing when they lie about the effects of drugs.

If my kids willfully use drugs, I have failed in my job as a parent.

No.  If you can't get beyond that, then you've failed as a parent.

The key thing about the drugs debate, it that you and I are at least aware
of the problems drugs pose to us as individuals and to society as a whole.

Maybe more than aware.  Maybe even spooked!

We can make an educated choice based on the facts, as we see them, and our
fears.

Fears seem to be the key for many people.

This means that when one philosophise about drug use, we can talk
about our view and talk of moderation etc. However, we should be aware that
there are those do not have the same perspective as you and I, as they lack
the facts, the perspective, the ability to make the clear choice

Is that what you call it when someone makes a choice other than the one you
would make?

People of all socio-economic brackets engage in responsible and irresponsible
drug use.  They don't need laws, they just need help.

Chris