 Off-Topic / Debate / 7166
Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 12:28:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Simpson writes:

Personally, I
could never take another life in cold blood - no matter what the reason.

Nor could I, but execution is not in cold blood.  Cold blood is murder,
which is unjustified and therefore always Wrong.

Hah!  I could kill in cold blood.  If I was in a rage, or if I simply had to
eat, I think I could manage.  OTOH, I think the concept that state-sponsored
execution is somehow not killing in cold-blood is laugable.  Killing when you
have a choice is always wrong.

[snip]
If Governor Bush had the ability (as
specifically granted to his office by the Texas Constitution) to commute his
sentence • [snip]
However...as this applies to accusations made against Governor Bush for the
record of executions in Texas: the Governor of Texas is very much a figurehead • [snip]
guilt and appropriateness of punishment.)  Have criminals often not received a
fair trial in Texas?  Undoubtedly, Yes.  Something may be rotten in this • state,
but let's not arbitrarily assume that the stench is coming from the Governor's
Office.  To critics of the Governor's decision not to commute sentences I pose
the question: Would you prefer that the Governor of Texas (whomever he/she may
be) overstep their Constitutional authority?

Let me put it this way.  I will do everything within my power to see to it that
innocents are not put to death.  If I were governor, or president, I would not
allow that to happen.  The law comes second to right and wrong.  In fact, your
adherence to the law, Justice, etc. is pretty creepy.  You would fit in as the
subject of a war-crimes hearing with the defense "but my government told me
to."

It is creepy as hell, that such attitudes exist in the modern west.

Chris