 Off-Topic / Debate / 7159
Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 01:36:00 GMT

Thanks James

"James Simpson" <jsimpson@rice.edu> wrote in message

The removal of a non-sentient tissue structure from the body of a • woman
who doesn't want it inside her is not murder.

Nice term "non-sentient tissue structure".

Not to mention accurate.

Your term may indeed be accurate, but I think that it does not do full • justice
to the inherent and latent qualities of the tissue structure.  When • confronting
the abortion issue from either angle, the issue of potential *cannot* be
avoided.  My 5-year-old nephew was once inches from being aborted.  He was
allowed to live and the characteristics of sentience, personhood, • intelligence
and awareness which were latent within that originally non-sentient tissue • has
reached the maturity of development.  All life has a beginning - sentience
emerges from non-sentience, and as such the basic materials of that • emergence
must be viewed in light of the design held within.  All of us emerged from • a
fundamental level of "tissue," but without that first necessary stage of • base
material, none of the higher levels of being would be reached.  Life • emerges
from non-life - does it matter that the non-life that first exists in the • womb
is yet a bare sketch of the form that it will later take?  Why does it • matter
that it is unaware and undeveloped when we know what it shall become? • Yes,
sometimes an end to a fetus must be made - for reasons of health, in
circumstances of brutality - and this end is tragic.  I do not argue that • the
rights of life within the womb supersede the rights of the woman carrying • it,
but what is the inherent quality of those rights?  Humans must carry life • within
themselves - it is an intrisic property of our fully-matured design.  When • a man
and woman make a free choice to create life, or even merely a free choice • to
chance the creation of life, with the full understanding that the nature • of our
being is that the life must grow within the woman (as co-partner), why is • she
then absolved of the responsibility to nurture that tissue that becomes • Alive?
(And of course, He must not be absolved of his responsibilities either.) • She
has the right to create, but with that right does not the responsibility • follow
to nurture to fullness the non-life that becomes like Her?  That web of • tissue
has a right for the its qualities that will soon become Aware.  We make • far too
little of that mere tissue.