 Off-Topic / Debate / 6850
    Re: Are you paying attention, LEGO? —Dave Schuler
   (...) Toffler's example was a little different from the Dell incarnation, though, and not just in the nature of the product. The manufacturing of spoons piece-by-piece to be different from one's neighbors entails a manipulation of each item in (...) (24 years ago, 1-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Are you paying attention, LEGO? —Erik Olson
   Hi Dave, I remember reading an article about Dell in the 80s, and it was that reporter that cited Toffler as the visionary on customization of mass production. I don't recall Toffler even mentioning computers. And the spoon example is telling--the (...) (24 years ago, 2-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Are you paying attention, LEGO? —Dave Schuler
   (...) Heh! That's a good point about free time. Every week there are reports about the rising trend of mandatory overtime on Dateline, 20/20, and the like. I'll come clean as well--I haven't read Toffler in a few years either. I remember, though, (...) (24 years ago, 2-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)