 Off-Topic / Debate / 673
672  |  674
Subject:
Which Threads Ethics - Summary
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 23:43:25 GMT

Salient points IMHO are as follows:

To quote Todd:
"Auctions and threads do not generally have a one-to-one correspondence.
Sometimes they do, but when they do, try to keep in mind that you are
conducting an auction using an NNTP newsgroup system -- a text-based
medium designed and optimized for lively threaded discussions with many
participants.  As such, it does not make sense to assume that a given
thread is owned in any way by the person who started it."

"this is simply the nature of competition and market price valuation."

To quote James Brown:
"just one of the hazards of dealing in a free market. "

To quote Christopher Weeks:
"I guess you have the 'right' to feel some kind of artificial ownership,
but you're likely to be hurt (annoyed, whatever) when you find out that
others disagree."

"Being outbid and having competition as a seller are part
and parcel with having the outstanding medium for exchange."

All sound arguments that I can no longer disagree with, so here's my public
stand down:
I stand corrected and accept the argument that Eric was within his rights to
do what he did.  I was clearly wrong to assume any ownership rights to "my"
auction thread.

Now the personal apology....

To quote John DiRienzo:
"I think "a lot of people" find this thread very annoying (at least in the
auction group) and found your first reply post very rude."

I *was* upset (despite my reply) by John's post.  You were good enough to
bid in the early stages of my auction and I feel (in retrospect) that I was
rude in my reply to your post.  For that, I publicly apologise.  I could
have apologised privately, but I feel this has more value.

To Mike Stanley:
I hope your next shit is a hedgehog :)
I don't expect you took anything personally (unless I misjudged you).  I
enjoyed the exchanges but regret that others may have become wound up as a
result.  I look forward to another spirited debate in the future when I have
free time again.

To the community:
It's been great fun through the winter months, but I'm going to have to
concentrate on my other life until the dark nights return.  I'm really
struggling to find the time for Lego stuff at the moment, so thought I'd
better "switch off the lights before I go"

Cheers
[SteveScott]