 Off-Topic / Debate / 6372
Re: Quote: "Legos are for 9 year olds..."
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 14:48:04 GMT

It was only the one person who made a LEGO-related comment.  I think he was
just letting off steam like he later said.  I suspect the reason no one
defended/supported that particular comment (other than me, of course) is
because they realized they would be shooting themselves in the foot.

I got the impression that some of those guys actually believed they were
flying real rockets for JPL or something.  That is probably my misperception
though.

Randy

--

Randy Anchikoski
randy@viclug.tzo.com

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Randy Anchikoski writes:
The subject line is a quote from a thread in rec.models.rockets dated • August
28.

I realize that most of you don't care, but I thought you might be • interested
in at least looking at this thread on rec.models.rockets  It's getting out
of control and way to philosophical.

The post is called 'Stupid Rocket Tricks' and is becoming (or has become)
interesting.  I'm surprised we didn't get any negative feedback here. • Maybe
y'all were just being polite and realizing that the same would happen here.

My 2 cents

I went and looked at the site when it came out. It didn't look like
something
I'd want to do myself, but I didn't see it as totally unsafe or anything. On
the other hand I think I understand the model rocketry guys sensitivity to
safety and public perception issues. (I went and read the whole thread in
deja
when it was mentioned the second time)

The initial poster was a bit over the top but some of the later posts made
good points about perception. To a certain extent they have the same problem
we (and so many other niche hobbies) do with what joe sixpack thinks of the
hobby. Joe sixpack doesn't understand why people would do anything out of
the
ordinary and thinks it's weird.

Too bad the posters belittling LEGO are not seeing that at the meta level.
There is no reason for one esoteric hobby enthusiast to belittle a devotee
of
another hobby. (rockets are for kids only as much or more than LEGO is for
kids only)

That said I'm not sure that all of Randy's responses helped although I can't
put my finger on why exactly.

++Lar