 Off-Topic / Debate / 6342
    Re: What would a kid think? (Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego) —Eric Joslin
   (...) Well, I thought that it was clear as soon as I said I had taken part in an arranged marriage. I do know well enough that the practice still exist- even here in the USA- but I thought that placed me well within the bounds of fiction. Live and (...) (24 years ago, 15-Aug-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: What would a kid think? (Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego) —Bruce Schlickbernd
   (...) I know a couple from Bengal (in India) that had an arranged marriage! Didn't meet until their wedding day. I had no reason to think you weren't being serious! And the example was wasted on me anyway, since I was presenting the scenario as I (...) (24 years ago, 15-Aug-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: What would a kid think? (Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego) —Selçuk Göre
     (...) It's very popular here in Turkey, especially in small towns and villages. The couple knows each other before the wedding generally, but it is not needed the marriage to be the decision and or desire of the couple (not of the girl, especially). (...) (24 years ago, 16-Aug-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: What would a kid think? (Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego) —Bruce Schlickbernd
     (...) Didn't (...) I checked with my friend at work from Iraq (note that he identifies himself as Assyrian) and confirms that arranged marriages were still happening there as of 20 years ago (when he decided he didn't want to die for the glory of (...) (24 years ago, 16-Aug-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: What would a kid think? (Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego) —Shiri Dori
   (...) Ummm, ok... here goes. (ramble ahead- beware) I know a couple from India as well, who has had an arranged marriage. I also know a whole branch of my extended family, who are orthodox Jews, that have had all their marriages arranged, not to (...) (24 years ago, 20-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)