 Off-Topic / Debate / 6332
Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 20:41:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Karim Nassar writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:

Bruce, I fully agree with most of your points, except the following:

We are all one race.

Cultural differences, which are real, often get associated with "race", just
to confuse things.

Seen from a scientific point of view, these statements are incorrect (I know
you didn't necessarily mean them to be view that way, but this is my POV).
Race is a purely cultural distinction, and it is cultural biases that define
it. We are not all one race and never will be until we abolish the very • concept
of race all together.

I'm not sure that science has a definition for "race": my physical
anthropology teacher thought "race" to be a lot of nonsense based on purely
external appearance (but for all I know this is out of date).  Perhaps with
DNA sampling things have changed.

In any case, I was saying that race is primarily a cultural distinction,
similar to what you said.

For example, I know a professor who was born in America of Native Peruvian
parentage.  She was educated in the USA, and occasionally travels back to • Peru.
In Peru, there are two races: Indian, and White (those are more or less the
terms that are used). Even though she is Native Peruvian by blood, she is
classified in Peru as "white" (she's darker skinned than most "black" people I
know). The reason? Because she is among the educated upper class, and in Peru,
that is the primary means of "racial" distinction.

That happens pretty much everywhere where there is some social stigma attached
to being of a particular race while being upper class.  I agree with your next
sentence below...

I would make the assertion that the same thing occurs here in America, if not
as formally. I once had a friendly arguement with an african-american guy I
know regarding race. He claimed that because most "white" people don't like to
watch "black" TV shows, that they were all silently racist. When I pointed out
that I loved to watch The Cosby Show, he replied that that show WAS NOT A • BLACK
TV SHOW!

--Karim

Couldn't really say - I only watched Bill Cosby when he was on "I, Spy".  :-)

Bruce