 Off-Topic / Debate / 6305
Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 18:07:52 GMT

Here is the crux of the problem.  The lack of diversity in minifigs IS a
political message.

Well, is it really if we consider the target audience?

I've said it before, I'll say it again: as long as the kids seem happy with
the minifigs, as long as the kids are able to use their own imagination to
bring diversity to the world of Lego as they perceive it, things are fine.

The overload of political messages in the world of children that we've seen
over the course of the last decade or so is quite sad. The act of playing
has been a means of understanding the world for centuries. The act of using
imagination to improve one's empathy should be obvious to each & every
person with any experience in that field.

& empathy will sure help us a lot more in creating a fully equal world than
brown, tan, yellow, red, whatever minifigs ever will.

Again: Luke is not yellow in the real world. Neither is Lando. If they're
both in Legoland, is that "lack of diversity" a political message or simply
a feature of Lego?

(For anyone trying to turn this into a political debate: don't waste your
energy, there are far more important battles to fight. For anyone bothered
with lack of realism: hey, get into modelling, or Hasbro/Kenner, or
whatever. This is still Lego.)

T.
--> thomas weigle  |  w.i.m.p.
    web: http://www.ya-ba.net/