 Off-Topic / Debate / 6246
Re: Plastic Trays
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 13:06:14 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Schilling writes:
Does anyone know what type of plastic the plastic trays are made out of that
The LEGO Company uses in packaging?  Specifically, I want to know if they are
recyclable.  There are two types, as far as I know: the yellow trays that
usually are the size of the entire box, and the clear ones used to show 'neat
pieces' through the top of the box, which are usually only a fraction the
thickness of the box.  (Though the Mindstorms set, for instance, has a clear
tray that is the full size of the box.)

The clear ones and at least some of the non-clear ones are #2 PETE (same
plastic as soda bottles). I've been contributing the clear ones to the bottle
recycling bins (though I suspect they wouldn't pick them up curbside since they
don't look like bottles - one of the problems I see with recycling is that
people AREN'T going by the numbers [which is the intent of the numbers, don't
make the consumer have to understand what plastic is used for what, just simple
paint by numbers], they're going by the type of item. If follow the signs at
our recycling centers strictly, I think you would throw out gallon springwater
jugs even though they are EXACTLY the same jug as a gallon milk jug, despite
the fact that they are more suitable for recycling because they are essentially
clean, of course you can recycle juice jugs since they mention those).

FUT: lugnet.off-topic.debate

Frank