 Off-Topic / Debate / 6161
Re: Why is cockfighting bad? (was: Pokemon (was: Harry Potter Lego Line))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 15:13:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

(snipping all the things previous that I agree with - excellent analysis)

Larry raised a question whether it is legitimate to sell oneself into slavery.
I think this is dependant on understanding exactly
what slavery is. I would argue that what slavery ultimately is is the giving
over ALL of one's rights to another (including the
right to life).

Indentured servitude did not give over the right to life, but it was form of
slavery, so I would disagree with this definition.

Since we have already established that killing another human
is not acceptable unless it is the only way to prevent
one human from (potentially) killing another, it is also clear that slavery is
immoral, even if a person were to voluntarily enter
into a contract of slavery.

Again, if the slave-holder is specifically denied the right to take life (or
even physical punishment), what would you say?  Me?  I'm not a Libertarian and
I'm with California on the fact that you cannot sign away certain rights and
freedoms.

Now we are just left with what are the enforceable
conditions of contracts. Clearly, at some point ANY
contract may be voided, now we just need to decide how and where to draw the
line.

I don't recall signing a contract with that Golden Trout who is going to be
dinner.  :-)

Interestingly, I think I've just established for myself that assisted suicide
is morally wrong. Ultimately, assisted suicide
involves an individual contracting with another for that other to terminate
their life (even though the suicide may involve the
person who wishes to commit suicide actually pushing the button or whatever).
On the other hand, this does not establish that an
individual has an absolute moral imperative to stop someone else from
committing suicide, though one is standing on higher moral
ground if one does make every attempt to prevent someone from committing
suicide. Unfortunately, it still leaves the act of
committing suicide in moral limbo. Of course there is not much we can do about
it after the fact, and I would argue that in general
there is little to gain by judging someone after the fact (though in certain
cases, such as the soldier throwing himself on the
grenade to save the lives of others, it is likely that there is gain in
acknowledging the lives saved). It would also appear than
committing someone to a hospital to prevent them from committing suicide is
moral.

Euthanasia of a terminally ill and suffering pet?  And by extension a relative?
I don't have a clear-cut answer - I wish I did.

Back to the food question. I think that a person who draws the line between
what they will and will not eat to exclude more
lifeforms may have some claim to higher moral ground, but of course that is
just one aspect of their life. I'm not sure how to
answer this question though. One problem is that I don't think we have enough
information yet. While we know that large numbers of
people seem to live healthy lives as vegetarians, what I think we don't know
is if every human can live a healthy life as a
vegetarian. Another issue is do we completely understand what should be our
purpose in life? It would appear to me that almost
everyone on Lugnet is not engaged in the most correct life. While I suspect
that a certain amount of "play" is important to our
wellbeing, I'm not sure that our play is "better" than a dog chasing after a
thrown stick. It certainly requires more resources. I'm
curious as to whether anyone has a non-religious explanation of our purpose in
life. This really is the fundamental question I think
which cause humans to be religious (I'm not going to claim that humans
invented religion in attempt to answer this question, though
my feelings are strongly towards human invention [but such invention does not
also preclude the possibility of a higher being]).

There is no universal answer to that question, so trying to make the one
dependent on the other is asking for a headache (unless you want to use a
specific answer for purposes of illustration or debate).

Ok, my head hurts too much now. Time to see some responses to this.

My brain hurts (see, I TOLD ya).  I suppose it will have to come out, then.

Bruce

Frank