 Off-Topic / Debate / 6155
Re: Why is cockfighting bad? (was: Pokemon (was: Harry Potter Lego Line))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 07:40:22 GMT

Darn it, hit send too early, I forgot one...

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mark Sandlin writes:
I'm right there with you, Tom. A good friend of mine is a vegetarian • because
of the whole cruelty-to-animals thing. Every once in a while I ask him why
he wears leather. He never has come up with any kind of sensible response.

What timing -- just stumbled onto this from a robotics site:

  http://www.ananova.com/news/story/technology_world-us-amazing- • science_914122.html

It's an article entitled "Scientists plan meat-eating robot."

Thanks.

So some hundreds or thousands of robot generations down the road, when these
meat eating lawn mowers have evolved enough to have conversations about
morality, they are going to argue something as follows:

Robbie: "it's OK to eat meat. we were built to run better on meat! It's what
our makers intended."
Number 5: "ya, but meat is alive, and we can get by on grass. True, it makes
us sluggish and we get hit when we cross the street on the way to the next
lawn, but that's a small price to pay"
Artoo: "well, if we HADN'T eaten meat for generations, we never would have had
the free time to evolve any sentience so we could argue about it, we'd be so
busy digesting grass"
Bigear: "I'm not sure but what the grass doesn't have feelings too. Sometimes
I hear it squeal just before I eat it"
Bolo: "Na, that's just your jaw bearings about to give out. But you could
argue that the chasing of meat in order to catch it was part of why our wits
got sharper... all those strategies for catching the lawn voles ended up
making us smarter. Plus I like my plasma gun, it's fun to blow stuff up."
Peter: "all this arguing confuses me. Me, I'm just the lawnmower."

++Lar