 Off-Topic / Debate / 5844
Re: A couple stupid SW questions...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 07:49:34 GMT

Dave Schuler wrote:

In lugnet.starwars, Eric Joslin writes:
Now.  Other than the dog's accent, can you tell me in what way he is a
"stereotype" of Latin-Americans?

  But isn't that the point?  The Nemoidians exhibited no obviously Asian
characteristics as far as I saw, but they were castigated as Asian
stereotypes.  Likewise, Watto was denounced as a stereotypical Jewish or Arab
merchant (I've heard both), though again I didn't otherwise see anything
particularly representative of either culture.

     Dave!

You are right I think. At least, I'm a middle eastern and I can't see
any clear middle eastern patterns in them at all.

Actually I don't have any problem with stereotypes. Besides, I clearly
remember that at some point Lucas himself said that the success of the
series is partly related to the use of stereotypes. (I mean similarities
of the things from our daily life and culture). At least, isn't that the
empire is just a nazi (I know, I lost this debate at this point..:-)
stereotype? I clearly remember that Grand Moff Tarkin speak a German
accented version of English.

Selçuk