 Off-Topic / Debate / 5714
Re: Global Warming (was: Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 15:46:48 GMT

"Tom Stangl, VFAQman" wrote:
I was watching something on PBS a couple weeks ago stating that covering the entire
surface of the earth with current solar technology wouldn't meet our needs, and
we'd need a TON of fusion reactors to even come close to replacing hydrocarbons. I
think the main lesson was that we need to keep looking for higher efficiency
alternatives (fusion being one of the most obvious).  BTW, using alcohol based
fuels to run cars?  Nuh-uh - we'd need more biomass than we currently could produce
to keep all of our autos running, and that wouldn't leave any biomass for, uh,
FOOD.

Maybe we use too much energy then.

We waste so much electricity.  Many of the modern TV's use energy to keep the picture
tube warm will it is off.  I don't know how much this is but, since I began to unplug
my television when I am not using it, I have noticed a about a $1-$1.50 drop in my
monthly electric bill(1).  Same thing with VCRs, etc.

I read a report in New Scientist a about 1-2 years ago that said when Britian switches
over to HDTV, it's going to require about 500 MW of power, even when the TV are not
turned on.  I think that figure is about 1% of Britian's current energy needs.

This is just an example of how we waste energy all the time without even realizing it.

-chris

1- just an estimate, having a second person in the house has changed the electricity
   use.