 Off-Topic / Debate / 5591
Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2000 17:02:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Peter White writes:

If you want to really get worried, think about mosquito-borne diseases, in a
world that is slowly warming, these are the growing concerns.

Agreed. Fortunately, ours isn't (slowly warming). At least that's what the
data indicate when not interpreted by "junk science" advocates.

Pretty much everything I’ve read or seen indicates that scientists generally
agree we are in a warming trend, but those scientists don’t agree on the
ultimate effects of that warming.  For that matter, they don’t even agree
whether it’s a long-term or anecdotal phenomenon.
The problem, as in most issues of this sort, is that the scientists
backed by Greenpeace see global warming as a deadly axe about to fall, while
scientists funded by the fossil-fuel industry say it’s part of the natural,
cyclic climate of the planet.
It seems that junk science abounds in both camps, at the risk of
obscuring the facts.  Are there any independent firms performing respectable,
legitimate research in this arena?

I'm not sure, but I suspect everyone doing research is in one camp or the
other.

Myself I'm on the "it's part of the cyclical nature of climate" side of the
fence, I tend to suspect that we're still in the "emerging from the little Ice
Age" temperature upswing.

++Lar

Dave!