 Off-Topic / Debate / 5533
5532  |  5534
Subject:
Standardized test again (was:re: tell me why...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.test, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 7 May 2000 04:39:56 GMT

Well, I hope you can read this, Chris!

-Shiri

In lugnet.off-topic.test, Shiri Dori writes:
let's try this:

Hi Chris!

(there's a reason why I put "Yummy!" as the subject. I love food for
thought! :-)

Sorry for the length of this folks, I so rarely get to use my Masters of
Education  ;-)

Hey, go right ahead! This was very interesting to read, now I have to reply...

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:
Oh, and I absolutely agree with this article, and also what they say about
the
SATs (take the link to their homepage):
http://www.fairtest.org/facts/whatwron.htm • <bit moved>

I think that whether one agrees or disagrees depends largely on what they
think they are agreeing to.

You're right. Saying "I absolutely agree with the page" is an exaggeration.

Hi Shiri.  Which parts of the article do you agree with?

I agreed with many parts of it, but I also agree with you that many parts of
this article are not backed up by facts, and that they do not furthur their
point (that standardized tests are bad).

I have my own beefs with standardized tests, based on my own experience(s).
Some of them are downright silly (like the PLAN test), while others are
clearly skewed (like the MCAS).
Also, as an ESL student, I don't think the tests accurately reflect my
understanding of the things tested. I might do much better on the tests if
they are in hebrew; then again, maybe not - I'm relatively fluent, but often
get stuck on an occasional phrase. So by asking me if I am an ESLer (as I was
asked for the MCAS), and considering that as a factor, they might be giving me
an advantage over other students; or perhaps, by NOT asking me (as in the PLAN
test) they're giving other people advantages over me. Does that make sense?

I don't know much about the SATs, except that I have to take them next year.

I do agree that standardized tests can serve some purposes. I also think that
they are used for purposes which they shouldn't be used for. For example, the
PLAN test being used to advise me what jobs I should pursue. Or the MCAS being
used to determine what schools (in MA) are better, when they already know the
answers; and also to determine whether an individual should graduate (which
will indeed be true from next year).
I do very well on standardized tests in general. Maybe it's because I'm really
smart. Some people tell me I am, and maybe that's it; maybe, though, it's just
that I know how to go about those tests (eliminate most improbable answers,
don't waste time on what you don't know, etc). I certainly don't know which
one it is. But if it's the latter, that truly defeats the whole purpose.

(Forgive me for snipping your response; it was very insightful but I simply
cannot reply to it all...

-Shiri