 Off-Topic / Debate / 5468
Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 00:42:50 GMT

Hi all,

The feature story at cnn.com right now is that the "AIDS pandemic [has been]
declared [a] threat to U.S.
national security."  I've wondered about the cultural significance of AIDS • and
the related syndromes for about
a decade, but haven't come up with any particularly good explanations.  So my
question is this:

Why is AIDS such a big deal?

Quote from Reuters news story:
"In seven countries in sub-Saharan African, 20 percent or more of adults were
infected with the virus that causes AIDS, and would die within the next few
years, leaving some 40 million children orphaned, Thurman said. Throughout the
region, infant mortality was expected to double and child mortality to • triple."

Asia (India in particular) has also been hit hard.  AIDS is taking out young
adults, unlike most forms of cancer or heart disease, with most of their
productive life ahead of them.

Hopefully, this answers most of the other questions you pose (ka-snip).

Any light or opinions?  Is AIDS getting more than a fair share of the
attention?  Is Clinton off his rocker to
declare it a threat to national security?

Chris

In this country, AIDS carries a lot of political baggage (right and left) that
obscures where we should place AIDS research on the priority list.  As to it
being a threat to national security, well, only obliquely.  Losing 20% of your
adult population that normally would have plenty of productive live ahead of
them could well destabalize already shakey governments.  That's certainly a
concern.  Clinton is grandstanding - perhaps he feels it is warranted or is
trying to mollify foreign diplomats (or acquired something from one of his
indiscretions).

With all of the stats just presented above, on must ask the obvious question
"How is it spreading so darn quickly?"

How did 20% of tha male population in that African nation become infected? Are
they so sexually prolific that they go around sowing their wild oats with
anything they see (male or female by the sounds of it). And what are the stats
on the Women?

The answer as far as I see it is EDUCATION. No amount of medical research
funding is going to help the situation if people still don't get it that these
things are LARGELY transmitted by unsafe sexual practises. Larry is right
(Crumbs! That's twice in as many days!), we can't shirk responsibility when we
know the risks associated. Now before I get flamed of the planet, for those
who don't know (young teenagers, students at Catholic schools, the greater
population of the Third World), we should be spending time and money on
EDUCATING them. Medical funding is great, we need it, but to ignore the
merrits of a proactive worldwide education campaign is to ignore half the
problem, and that's just bad policy.

Pete Callaway