 Off-Topic / Debate / 542
Re: Frog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 21:17:41 GMT

<slrn7c7dti.4ol.cjc@VADER.NS.UTK.EDU> <F712sH.2HC@lugnet.com>

Jesse Long wrote:

Mike Stanley wrote in message ...
I just got Starship Troopers for $9.99 on DVD.  I remember it as a
fairly mediocre movie.  Except for that shower scene maybe...

Gratuitous nudity for no other reason than to keep the audience awake
hoping it might happen again (well, the male part of the audience)

You're better off with the book.  I think the movie was little more than a
showcase for cool computer-gore graphics.  I try to separate books from
movies, but this one was a real sacrilege.

I'll say.  Is it ever.

SST is on my top 10 books of all time and my 10 worst movies of all time
at the same time. I can deal with people butchering the plot to a
certain extent but the movie delivers the exact opposite message that
the book does.

The book is a subtle, layered and taut story that works extremely well
as a story at the same time that it makes a profound point about the
need for citizens to be ready to do what it takes, and a point about how
to potentially organize a society to make it work. It is a suitable read
for a juvenile.

I would be proud and happy to live in Rico's world, as defined in the
book.

The movie is a heavy handed gore fest that seems to be trying to
ridicule the society Rico lives in in by dumbing down every aspect of
it. The messages the government putatively sends its citizens are such
an insult to their intelligence, that I can't believe even the moronic
citizens that the movie writers cariacatured (can't really call it
character DEVELOPMENT) would buy them. It is too gory and stupid for
most adults, never mind any juveniles.

I would be embarrassed and dismayed to live in Rico's world, as painted
in the movie.

++Lar