 Off-Topic / Debate / 5411
Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 17:23:47 GMT

Hi all,

Why is AIDS such a big deal?

There are plenty of seemingly more important health risks.  Why does AIDS get
so much attention?

I think the reason it gets more attention is because it affects more people
(just my impression) all over the world than cancer, especially in Africa.

According to http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvs47_19.pdf, human immunodeficiency
virus infection killed .007 of the people who died in 1997 in the US.
Malignant neoplasms etc. account for .233 of the deaths.  And heart diseases
get .314.

These are just the US stats.  I seriously doubt these stats hold true for other
countries, especially in sub-Saharan Africa.  If you notice the stats on the
right side of the article, a quarter of the residents in some African countries
suffer from AIDS and HIV!  Numbers like this is what can destabilize countries,
hence the threat to Global Security, and by proxy, a threat to ours.

According to http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/who/usa.htm "almost 80% of smokers
begin to smoke regularly at 16 years and below."  This seems like a social
concern.  Remember when I pointed out that only seven tenths of one percent of
death are AIDS related?  Well "it is estimated that in 1995, around 529,000
deaths were attributable to smoking (24% of total mortality)."

The tobacco industry has many, many politicians in its pocket (especially
conservatives), so actions against them are unlikely.  I'd certainly support
any action to ban or restrict cigarettes.

Any light or opinions?  Is AIDS getting more than a fair share of the
attention?  Is Clinton off his rocker to declare it a threat to national
security?

I don't believe AIDS is getting more than its fair share of the attention, nor
do I think Clinton is off his rocker.  If declaring it a threat to National and
Global security is the only way to increase funding and help the millions
suffering in Africa, then I'm all for it.

Jeff