 Off-Topic / Debate / 5048
Re: Trying to understand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 03:42:01 GMT

James Simpson wrote:

Look, I'm not an NRA supporter by a long-shot.  I don't own a gun, and I don't
want one.  But until we decide to repeal the 2nd ammendment, then it is an
assault upon the legal liberties of the gun industry to single them out for
selective prosecution.  I am frankly tired of the recent trend in our culture
and politics of making scapegoats...to pass the buck.  Personally, I think that
we would have a better society if guns were less accessible.  That's just my
opinion.   However...it needs to be done within the framework of democracy.  The
People would need to decide that if ever it could/should happen.  We need fewer,
but tougher, gun laws.  We need to punish the people who are directly
responsible for crime.  If I shoot someone, I should pay the price...but never
the gun manufacturer...not so long as the 2nd Ammendment exists.

Well said. Would that everyone were as reasonable as you.

My theory is that in many issues we see convolution being used as a tool
to usurp, because proponents on one side or another fear that a straight
up and down question might:
- resolve it once and for all
- dilute the power of special interests to influence candidates and
elections
- put some lobbyists out of jobs
- put some fund raising groups out of jobs too.
- result in a bit more peace and quiet at dinner because people weren't
getting soliciting phone calls.

But that's just me.

--
Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar