 Off-Topic / Debate / 5020
Re: Mormon bashing again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 00:15:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bill Farkas writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bill Farkas writes:
:

You wanted the ten commandments in schools.  That's forcing your religion • on
someone else.

I was speaking about the posting of them in general, not necessarily in
schools, and certainly not about the teaching or preaching of them. Besides,
their from Judaism and I'm not Jewish.

rest, splitting hairs, or do you deny that the 10 commanmants are part of • your
religion?

I did go back and I never used the word schools.

She said that they shouldn't be and your argued otherwise.  You are just
splitting hairs.  This lack of candor is getting tiresome.

http://www.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=4329

I responded to Patricia Schempp who mentioned schools. I have concictently • been
talking only about the concept of merely posting them, not legislating the
posting of them. And I never said creation *should* be taught, I said it was • as
viable a theory as evolution, be it theistic or otherwise.

Shroud your argument how you will, you still want to supplant science with
religion.  It's the same old scam.  Can't get creationism taught because it
isn't scientific?  Hey, try and make sure evolution can't.  Leave science to
science: The Soviet Union didn't and had lots of people starve because of it.

My point remains: If we aren't teaching prayers and the 10 commandments in
school, and we (USA) are the greatest country in the world, I'm not sure I • see
what the problem is.  Could you also please enlighten me where the 10
commandments are in the Declaration of Independence, in the Constitution, • or
the Bill of Rights?

It doesn't remain, because it doesn't address the original point. I am only
speaking about the "influence" that the commandments had on the founders and
the founding of this country. I made no mention of any effect on the present
manifestation of our country. I'm not saying that they should be taught or
forced on anyone. I simply see the posting of them as being a passive
recognition of the fact that they had an "influence" period.

Why bother posting them in places the Supreme Court has ruled against, then?
Why bother posting them if we are doing fine without them being posted?  The
point absolutely remains: you want them posted, and I say why?  Vague
"influence" isn't good enough reason to violate the 1st amendment?

Again, I'm not saying post them to produce a desired effect. Simply in
remembrance of their influence - there's that word again. And it's not a
violation of anything in the first amendment. Many of the founding documents
contain references to God.

Mere sophistries.  Just hiding the same old agenda.

I did not say they were "in" the above cited documents. There are seven • letters
following the little "i" and the little "n" in the word influence.

Gosh, thanks for telling me! I was so confused!

Sorry, I have SSS - Sudden Sarcam Syndrome. :0)

Guess I caught it from you.

I was simply indicating that they are in fact NOT any official part of our
nation and the first amendment applies.

It is not
such a horrible thing to admit that this country had a religious heritage. I
realize that we currently live in a post-christian era, I'm fine with that.

Who has denied it?  You seem very confused about others not wanting your
religion inflicted on them as somehow a denial of religious heritage.

But, again, I'm speaking in passive terms.

Either say that you do or don't.  If you don't, fine, but then you are just
blowing smoke and I'll leave you to it.  If you do, then my statements stand.

simply don't agree that hanging them on a wall, where ever that may be, is
forcing anything on anyone. I will state yet again, they currently are on • the
wall of the Supreme Court and have no effect on what takes place there. Why
does everybody keep side stepping that point while they go off on some
emotional tirade about imposed religion?

Because you said you wanted them and creationism in schools.

Did not, did not, did not. :~P
And you still side stepped my point.

Okay, for the sake of argument, you didn't.  Fine.  Then creationism shouldn't
be taught in public schools and science should.  I'm okay with that.  Since you
are not arguing in favor of it, we don't have a conflict.  Thanks for agreeing
with me.

Those who are on the same side of this matter as you are must realize that
the
Christian Coalition types (by that I mean those who are politically trying • to
do the things you fear) feel the same way about it having been removed from
schools and replaced by secularism as you do about having it put back in
schools. Why do your rights supersede theirs. There has to be a middle
ground.

1st amendment: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of
religion.  Note the lack of "...except for Christianity."  That's the middle
ground, none is advanced over the other.

Oh hey, do we agree here, too?

The statement was rhetorical.

Or so you thought.

Well...I thought I said it, doesn't that pretty much mean that I would know if
it was or not?!

Evidently not.  You didn't identify in a thicket of comments which statement
was the one meant as rhetorical.  And what that has to do with comments wasn't
exactly clear either.

Some have expressed the opinion that weak minded people turn to religion • as a
crutch - no more so than others turn to "education" as an anesthetic.

Some do, some don't, but it's neither here nor there on whether one • specific
religion should be force-fed to everyone.

Again, I'm not talking about forcing anything. Recognition and forcing are • two
different things.

As for creation/evolution: neither can be scientifically proven,

That evolution happens is scientifically accepted (proven).  You wanna • argues

Accepted, not proven.

Proven as concerns science, which is all that counts.

It has NOT been proven. It just seems to them to be the best possible
conclusion thus far. Science is far from "all that counts".

If we are talking about science, then only scientific principle counts.
Evolution is proven: all the details and subtleties are simply the best
possible conclusion so far, but that evolution happens is not under question • by
science.  That you don't understand that and want to substitute • pseudo-science
that fits your religious agenda is the scary part.

Booo!

I don't have an agenda, I'm just some bald guy in Florida!!

Oh, how cute.  No real answer though, I note.

the name of Christianity, yet all the examples given from history were
primarily committed by the Catholic Church - which is exactly the reason • If the exceptions define
the rule - then those who have truthfully practiced what they believe
negate the assertion that christianity is inherently flawed.

Protestants' hands are clean of blood?  All those slave-holders in this
country
were Catholic?

Slavery was more economic than religious. Yet it was, primarily, nothern
Christians that were the catalyst to ending slavery. (notice the words
primarily and catalyst - nitpick loopholes)

Slavery was more economic than religious, but it was justified by religious
means.

Not by anyone who believes the way I do. I just object to being lumped into
one
big ball and discredited as a whole. Stereotypes never work.

But you just did that to the Catholics!

Didn't. My statement above is as follows:
yet all the examples given from history were primarily committed by the
Catholic Church.

I said that the examples provided by others in previous messages were
"primarily" Catholic.

Still pretty hypocritical no matter what face you put on it.

And whether any particular religion helped end slavery, Protestants
had their hands in bringing it about and continuing it.

Are you still trying to seriously state that Protestants' hands are clean • of
blood?

I never did.

But you condemned them and pretended to be holier than thou with regards to
other Christian religions.

It was only a matter of time before that charge was dusted off. (yawn)

That tends to happen when the charges are accurate.  Sneer at what you can't
refute, eh?  (Yawn)

I don't claim to be a Protestant. I don't owe my beliefs to that
fact that I protest theirs. Biblical Christianity existed long before the
Catholic Church.

Splitting hairs again.  Fine.  Substitute non-Catholic, non-Eastern Orthodox
Christians for Protestants.

Cool. I wish I could split hairs - that would give me twice what I have now.

Sneer at what you can't refute, again?  (Snore)

By the way, would splitting hairs require splitting hair atoms - cuz that • could
be dangerous.

This conversation has descended past the point where I am willing to continue
it.