 Off-Topic / Debate / 5014
Re: Trying to understand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 22:33:08 GMT

James,

James Simpson wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:

A trigger lock issue is just another attempt by the government
(Clinton/Gore Administration  especially) to get rid of guns, pure and
simple. A trigger lock might solve some minor problems, but will hurt
others. More legislation, more laws, etc. will not work. More education,
both by the NRA, and parents, would do better. The government can't do
anything right, and this is no different.

I mostly agree with you.  A dominant political philosophy of the last 8 years
has been that government can & should solve all social problems.  There is an
inordinate amount of faith in the power of legislation, and a belief that the
ends justify the means.  We have been over-taxed, over-legislated, and over-
governed by our lawsuit-happy Presidential administration.  Anyway...my point is
that our society relies far too much on our elected officials.  And BTW, I
wouldn't want my kids being educated by the NRA.  It's my role, not the NRA's.

Oh, I know it is the parents whose ultimate responsibility to teach the
children, but I would rather have the NRA teach about guns to my
children then any government agency.

(Kind of akin to the fact that it will be my right to educate my children about
sex, condoms, AIDS, etc., etc...and not the school's.  Just a red herring that
I'd wanted to throw into the melee...)

Indeed. Schools should not be allowed to teach that stuff, even though
they are trying. Another reason for school choice, IMHO, and not have to
send your children to leftist indoctrination centers.

James, who is really tired of big government, and tax-payer financed aid
packages to the same countries who mug us in OPEC

Scott, who is really tired of Clinton / Gore administration, tired of
taxes, tired of getting taxed at my two jobs like it is one, tired of
regulations,  leftism, tired of big government, who wants to move to the
moon, and start Liberatopia?

Only 310 days left! :)
Scott E. Sanburn-> ssanburn@cleanweb.net
Systems Administrator-Affiliated Engineers -> http://www.aeieng.com