 Off-Topic / Debate / 5009
Re: Trying to understand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 22:27:31 GMT

Well plowed ground alert.

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:

So who picks up the tab?

You do. Or you should. It's not my problem if you didn't manage your affairs
correctly. Maybe I'll decide to help, but it should be my decision.
Medical care is a good, that is, a form of property. There are no rights to
free goods.

Would I as an uninsured person who walked into an emergency room, get the
treatment that I needed if it weren't subsidized? I doubt it. I would get the
amount of care where the hospital knew it would be able to recoup it's costs.
Any more than that and it would risk taking a hit in the pocket book.

The government, in subsidizing medical care, is providing a relatively equal
footing for me to recieve treatment regardless of my ability to pay. I feel
that as a relieving thought. No it's not perfect, but at least I know I'll be
alive to admire it's imperfection.

Thanks to someone else paying for it?

Besides, medical treatment is not a "right".
Those who have more money always get better treatment.

True. It's been that way throughout history with most things. The rich always
get better X.

Which is as it should be, I would say.

++Lar