 Off-Topic / Debate / 4997
4996  |  4998
Subject:
Due Process
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 21:46:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bill Farkas writes:
Yet if a private property owner wants to have only smokers in his
establishment, that should be up to him.

  Certainly, as a privately-owned entity it should be allowed to admit or
refuse smokers as it sees fit, without being subject to federal heavy-
handedness (any more than I as a private citizen should be legally required to
lock my guns in my own home, just to re-connect with the larger debate!).

  This brings up another semi-related question for me, though.  Recently I was
passing through a food court at a local mall, wherein I saw a bright yellow
"Eat-at-your-own-risk"-type sign plastered across the sneeze guard.  I sort of
know the manager of the place, so I asked him about the sign.  He informed me
that the local health department had surprised them with a spot inspection and
found the place lacking in key areas of food temperatures, storage practices,
and one or two other unsavory areas.  As a result, the health department put
up the sign, which resulted in an immediate loss of over 80% of their
business.  My question is this: doesn't this seem in some way to violate or at
least circumvent due process?  There was no appeals process, as far as I'm
aware, just a summary decision and posting of the warning.  Any appeal that
might have been made would have come after the sign was posted and the damage
done.
  This isn't very solidly connected with the debate at hand, but the
discussion brought it to my mind.

   Dave!