 Off-Topic / Debate / 4987
Re: Trying to understand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 20:55:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bill Farkas writes: Look at tobacco. It started
with
warning labels, then "no smoking" areas in buildings and planes, then no
smoking at all in certain buildings or planes and now lawsuits. It doesn't
stop, as long as liberals think they can control your behavior and squeeze a
buck out of it. Now they're talking about taxing fatty foods(!) - oh, because
they care. Puh-lease, all they care about is manipulation and money.

  At the same time, though, the supposition of courtesy is inadequate against
the average smoker in my experience--sufficiently so that "no smoking" areas
in restaurants seem to me a good idea.  I don't think it's necessary to ban
smoking at the federal level, but some measure of "enforced politeness," if
only on the level of individual business, doesn't strike me as inappropriate.
  Fatty foods, on the other hand, are another matter!!  Who was the chief
zealot on that crusade?  I have the impression that it was primarily one
individual, but I may be incorrect.  Let me know, if you recall.

Every penny we give away in taxes is lost freedom.

Mildly-ObRef: Guvvamint do take a bite, don't she?

    Dave!