 Off-Topic / Debate / 4796
Re: Papal support of evolution
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 06:00:53 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
I'm curious, BTW, what Catholic Christians think of Pope John Paul II's
statement.  Was he misquoted or misquoted?  Is he a quack?  Is he closer to
God than the rest of us?

Hmm...misquoted or misquoted... do I have another choice? ;)

Hehheh...I meant to say, "Was he misunderstood or misquoted?"

I remember the incident, but I got the impression (wrongly perhaps) at the time
that he was refering more to a church position than his own opinion.  A quack?
He's a phony doctor?!?  He should be down on Wilshire in L.A. working the
Miracle Mile?  :-)

Nope, JP II did indeed say that (or similar).  As to him being a quack or
closer to God than the rest of us - I'm not qualified to judge that.  I
don't think he's a quack, but sufficient bureaucracy can hide any number of
character flaws.  Closer to God?  <shrug> He seems holier than I, but he
could be a rotter that can act well.  The state of his holiness isn't any
of my business, except as it relates to the church on earth - and he seems
to be doing an OK job with it, considering it's a 2000 year old bureaucracy.

Well, the amazing thing (IMHO) is this:  Because PJP2 is the official head of
the RCC, it is the official position of the RCC that DE isn't rubbish.  That's
a very open-minded and progressive position for the RCC to take -- and a wise
change of direction if it still expects Catholicism to have any hope of being
around in another 2000 years.

--Todd

Losing every fight it picked with science tends to wise up even stodgy old
religions like Catholicism.  Note that it is the not-so-wised-up Protestants in
this country (USA) that are dooming themselves to repeat history because they
haven't learned.

Bruce