 Off-Topic / Debate / 458
Re: Frog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 21:10:13 GMT

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999 15:08:20 GMT, "Christopher L. Weeks"
<c576653@cclabs.missouri.edu> wrote:

butt-stupid, but a smart rat is smarter than a dumb dog.  (I'm biased as
a rat-for-pet keeper, but I'm also in training to be an educational
researcher and have a fair exposure to cognitive research - in which
rats are a common subject.)

I always recommend rats to anyone interested in small pets.  At the very
least, they don't bite (often).  I've been nipped by mice, hamsters,
guinea pigs, gerbils, you name it.  But our rats (we've had several)
have always been great.  They don't usually even run away.  When we'd
leave their cage open, they'd climb up on top (it was wire mesh), look
around, hang out for awhile, and head back in.

The problem with rats as pets is their short life span.

Someone recently told me that domestic turkey are so stupid that when it
rains, they feel it on their back, head, etc., look up to see what it is
(presumably) which causes their mouth to open and they drown from rain
flowing into their lungs.

I'd have a hard time swallowing that story.

but goats are smart...and a pain in the ass to keep fenced.

Especially if you're on the wrong side of the fence.

I haven't worked with dolphins, but my reading suggests that's true.
I'd also put in a big vote for raccoons; they're smart, they're
omnivorous, and they have hands.  All they need is time.

What about those house-cats with the extra toe on their front paws?
Some siamese brand, I think.  Those beasts look like they're going to
take over the world.

Steve