 Off-Topic / Debate / 4513
Re: Neil Gaiman was (Does God have a monopoly on gods?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 09:23:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kya Morden writes:
On Fri, 3 Mar 2000 22:03:09 GMT, "James Brown"
<galliard@shades-of-night.com> wrote:

It's a neat debate.  Nowhere that the war in heaven is described (which is not
that many places), does it say that the fallen are stripped of power or status
or title, just that they are cast from heaven.  Neil Gaimen has some neat
twists on this in his _Sandman_ series.

(I *like* Gaimen's work.  A lot.  He is one of, if not the, best modern
storytellers.)

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/

Okay, not really a debatable subject (maybe it is) but what would some
good "starter" Gaiman stuff be?  I really liked 'Day of the Dead" that
he did for Babylon 5 and I've read a few short stories in Sandman that
I liked.  (One was about a cat telling other cats how they used to
rule the world and chased humans (as humans used to be smaller IIRC)
and at the end one of the cats listening to the lecture was dreaming
about chasing people and its owners said "aw how cute, he's dreaming
about catching mice.")   Anyway, kinda got misdirected from the
question, but thanks for any advice and the like.

kya ~

that was "dream of a thosand cats", one of my favorite sandman stories. if
only a thousand cats could have that primal dream simultneously, it would
become reality once again.  this is impossible though. just try to get a
mere three cats to do anything simultaneously! (other than run toward the
sound of a can-opener, that is!)

  check my other post in response to james' message for some of my favorite
gaiman reccomendations. (as well as a few unashamed plugs for my own stuff
in print)

  i can't reccomend his phenomenal "sandman" series in it's entirety highly
enough! it's broad scope covers nearly every aspect of the human condition
so elequently and fluidly! i've read it all several times and am continually
amazed by it. gaiman's ability to overlap plotlines withot confusion is
unparalleled.  the compiled issues of "sandman" are available in
(affordable) softbound and (ex$pensive) hardbound editions.

  "death ~ the high cost of living" is a remarkable take on "death takes a
holiday"(aka "meet joe black", more recently).  and "stardust" is great if
you like fairies and such!  these originally were published as mini-series
but have been compiled into complete editions as well.  the hardbound copy
of "stardust" is one of the most beautiful books i've ever seen.

later ~ craig~

  (well, this my opinion and highly debatable and i can't see an option for
cross posting, so there.) neil gaiman writes about gods incredibly well and
there's certainly not a monopoly of dieties in his world! (nor in mine, for
that matter)