 Off-Topic / Debate / 4343
Re: Mormon bashing again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 21:42:01 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bill Farkas writes:

The Roman Empire started with high
ideals and ended in total depravity.

Major snippage fore and aft.  Which is not to say the other things you had to
say weren't interesting, or whether I agree with them or not, it's just that
this is the only one I wanted to comment on.

The Roman Empire started with high ideals - I'd amend that to the Roman
Republic rather than the Empire - and had its periods of total depravity, but
that's not really what brought it down.  Caligula, Nero and Messalina (lets
give the ladies their due) are probably the best known examples of Roman
depravity, but the Empire when on for centuries after them.  Centuries.  It was
much more internal conflict with King-making by the Praetorian Guard, generals
using their troops as a personal army for King-making, coupled with a
succession of external threats.

Bruce