 Off-Topic / Debate / 4332
Re: Mormon bashing again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 00:50:15 GMT

Matthew Wilkins wrote:
The
oddest thing about such LDS gathering places (so I'm told, not being Mormon
I've never been) is that they don't have a large meeting room inside; since
LDS is much more a one-on-one religion, the entirety of the building is given
over to small meeting rooms, and is supposed to be quite warrenlike inside.

Actually, at least one large room, the chapel, is required for Sunday
services.  In this room (which can vary in size depending upon the local
membership) the Sacrament meeting is performed, and typically there are a
small handful of inspirational and / or instructional talks given in a meeting
as well.  Additionally, there are smaller classes that happen before or after
the Sacrament meeting, where the instruction becomes closer to one-on-one.

When I was a child, I lived in a low-population area, so our Branch of the
Church was small.  We rented the main meeting room from the local events
center (about the size of a volleyball court) for Sacrament, then used wheeled
dividers to break the room up into classes afterward.  Wheeling the piano in
and out of storage every week was an adventure.

Now, living in Utah, I attend church in a Ward house (a Ward being a unit of
group size smaller than a Stake but larger than a Branch) with a dedicated
chapel for Sacrament, *and* a "cultural hall" complete with a full-size
basketball court in the same building.

Erm, that's about it.  I hope I cleared away more confusion than I caused.

-Cheese

"But where?  I know, we'll go somewhere where there's cheese!"  ;-)

Cheers,
- jsproat

Card-carrying member of the Star-Bellied Sneech Preservation Society