 Off-Topic / Debate / 4145
RE: Legos get you into college
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 18:01:02 GMT

Frank Wales wrote:
Getting into medical school is quite different from getting through it.
I couldn't care less how my doctor got in, as long as he has to get
through it to the usual standards, and pass the same exams as everyone
??>> else.

This is a good point, but one also has to consider that simply admitting
anybody is just setting up some people to fail.  At the very least, this
will adversely impact those peoples' self-esteem (and IMO, *everybody's*
self esteem is worth something).  Closing the door to some people at the
very beginning is far less damaging to them than letting them flunk
out.  At worst, they are occupying seats which could have otherwise been
filled by people who had the raw skill and/or motivation to succeed, but
couldn't get in because there was no room.

But they aren't just "simply admitting anybody". If you read through the
article, the Lego building exercise is just a small part of the experimental
admissions process. It sounds to me like they ARE trying to find people with
the "raw skill and/or motivation to succeed" but possibly not the greatest
SAT/ACT test scores...

--
Dave Morgan
Senior Systems Engineer