 Off-Topic / Debate / 4040
Re: stuff (was: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?])
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 22:01:37 GMT

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000 22:51:13 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:

I'm sorry, what does the electorate have to do with it? I thought you

For one, the electorate has to agree to go to libertopia in the first
place.

were asking about how starving immigrants who happened to have the
misfortune to die before they could find work would be handled in
libertopia? Did I misunderstand your question? If so, I'll stop. But if
not, the electorate has nothing to do with personal liability, it's not
something that one can vote out of existance in libertopia. That's kind
of the point of libertopia, after all.

Personal liability now includes not only things you might possibly be
indirectly responsible for, which already is very insidious, but also
things you are not at all responsible for?

Again, see above. In libertopia there won't be a county coroner, I don't
think. Or if there is, his function will be more of an aid to
investigation of crimes than as a public cleaner upper of errant bodies.

But that is exactly what the county coroner is: an aide to the police.
The coroner decides if a body found was murdered or killed, rather
than dying of natural causes. Do you expect the policeman on the spot
to do that?

And he certainly wouldn't be tax supported.

Why on earth not? The police would be, according to you.

am. I get to try, though. (well, I trust, my insurance company,
skinflints that they are, will try on my behalf)

And double your premium, don't forget. Or cut you off from further
insurance altogether, if they can't find anyone responsible. What, you
think that if you're not responsible for it, they won't remove your
no-claim bonus? Yeah. Right.

The first time. After that I'll watch a bit more closely. But you seem
to have such a low opinion of my neighbors... far lower than I do. This
is a flippant example (although worthy of examination nonetheless)
because it's so extremely improbable.

Maybe your neighbours wouldn't drag a corpse over to your land.

But what about random garbage? How often, exactly, do you see garbage
dumped along roads, or in other people's garden, or anywhere but the
garbage dump where the polluters get to pay for the privilege?

I'm betting the number is decisively non-zero, unless you turn a blind
eye unconsciously. This scenario is by no means improbable. Now,
taking care of a random corpse costs at least $500-1000 or so, plus
lost time in proving that you weren't responsible for his death, etc..
With that kind of money involved, people _will_ do things to get rid
of them. And there's the whole "I don't want people to think I killed
'em" factor as well, in cases of deaths.

Jasper