 Off-Topic / Debate / 397
Re: Frog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 06:34:55 GMT

IMHO, you've got it backwards; it is morally wrong to kill someone, but our
society says it's okay in certain instances to help things to function.
Every scensient being has a right to life; or conversely, no sensient being
has the right to deny another life.  Any deviation from that absolute is due
to the whims of time and culture.  We might agree that humans aren't born
with a sense of right and wrong; it is learned, and it was learned orginally,
I think, from an absolute (insert Supreme Being [1]).

[1] Although I refer to a being even higher than the one lifted up by the
Larritarians;)

I don't deny knowledge of some absolutes, I'm pretty sure that 1+1=2 that's
an absolute truth.
*BTW*, does .99999999(repeating forever) = 1?
but Absolute Morals?  nah....  All morals are human constructs.  There is no
physical law that says it's wrong to kill someone, that's just a guideline
we made up because in our society it helps things to function.

In the great fuzzy universe of human morals that differ between individuals
and shift and change over time how can you still insist that Absolutes
exist?  What might SEEM like an absolute to you is just a guideline to
someone else.