 Off-Topic / Debate / 3884
3883  |  3885
Subject:
Government Power vs. Corporate Power [Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 15:08:29 GMT

Frank & All,

Frank Filz wrote:

Well, there is the occaisional landlord. There are also the bail
bondsmen, but they are in a way an agent of the government.

I don't know how simple I can make this. Overall, if you compare the
power of the government that can dramatically effect your life, which
there are examples, and the power of any corporation (If they do illegal
things, that is a different situation), there is no comparison. I think
people assign, incorrectly, that corporations have a lot of power, when,
IMO, that the government has a greater extent of power in terms of
effecting the individual.
I am not saying that all corporations are good, and that they don't
effect individuals, but if you look at the power and scope, specifically
the US government, and any corporation, say Microsoft, there really is
no comparison. Also, I am not saying all government is bad, I am saying
the US Federal government is too big, too powerful, and should focus
more on what the initial concepts were.

Scott S.