 Off-Topic / Debate / 3848
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 18:44:20 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
<38850672.B6A753EE@eclipse.net> <FoK7Jv.LHr@lugnet.com>

James Brown wrote:
I'll endeavour to run through some of my thinking on this:
    Most companies keep their business practises and work process
confidential - this is for a number of reasons(1) and I think it's probably
a good thing, and isn't likely to go away, especially under a Libertarian
system(2).  Given that, any investigation into work processes to determine
responsibility is going to be internal, otherwise it compromises the
companies right(3) to keep it's information confidential.  In the general
case, where responsibility is not clear (which I suspect the majority of
issues will be with), it is my opinion that blame will get diffused far
enough to provide "reasonable doubt", or will get shifted so that it makes
the minimum impact on the company - i.e. a scapegoat will be found.

One thing - at the point where a liability issue is at hand, the
internal processes of the company become relevant to the issue at hand,
and certainly may be examined by the court. If the issue is big enough,
I don't even see a problem with them becoming matters of public record
(like the company (Exxon?) which talked about jelly beans in the board
room).

Granted.

I also have an issue with the possibility of mis-casting of blame if the
general view of "management is ultimately responsible" is held - I don't
ever want to be in management if I can potentially be punished for the
laziness/stupidity/malice/honest mistake of a subordinate.

Well, such liability would at least justify the huge compensation
company officers earn.

The best summation is that I'm in favor of direct responsibility=direct
liablility, but not indirect responsibility=direct liability.

But if we have this system, how do we deal with say a Bhopal? Sue the
worker who didn't close a valve orwhatever (I don't remember the
details, but I'm sure only a handfull of [non-management] people were
DIRECTLY responsibl) for the whole shebang? Wow! Companies would love
this. They could do whatever they wanted with no repercussions (other
than replacing a few low level workers). Gee, why even train them for
safety (beyond that training which is necessary so that they get a
reasonable return on the cost of hiring someone and having the job empty
while they hire a replacement).

Back up a sec.  I never implied that liability shouldn't exist.  The company
would be liable for the bulk of any settlements, and any company that operated
as you suggest above would get hit with lawsuits so often that it would either
address the problems, or go under.

Ultimately, the ONLY way to hold a company liable is to hold the company
officers liable.

I disagree, but that's nothing new. :)
What puzzles me about this whole argument is how you(in the general sense) can
be advocating person x being responsible for person y's actions?  If someone
else causes a violation of rights, how can I being punished for that if I'm
not directly linked to their actions?  That seems contradictory to the
underpinnings of libertarian thought.

Now, if said company officers can be shown beyond reasonable doubt to be
responsible, then heck yeah, throw the book at them!  But if they're not
involved, why are they at fault?

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/