 Off-Topic / Debate / 3694
Re: Government vs Corporations - Was: (Re: Art Debate)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 21:38:41 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:
I am talking about the real world, here. Not theoretical. Most of these
posts imply that government is somehow wonderful and great and how much
better off we would just give everything to the government and we would
have utopia. But, the evil corporations, bent on destroying the world,
have the power to destroy everything!!!! If I am wrong, please tell me.

You are wrong.  In my case, at least, I don't think that.  What I *do* think
is that corporations will take whatever advantages they are allowed to take,
just as governments will.  Libertarian theory does not account for this, to my
satisfaction.  It seems to assume that personal accountability will make up
the gap, and I think it's insufficient. (More on that some other time, if you
ask - I've got to go earn my keep for the remainder of this afternoon)

Here is a question that has intrigued me, for this thread has revealed
that some in this discussion give corporations the same power as
government:

In terms of real life, this year being 2000, in terms of corporations,
can anyone tell me what company has even a bit of the power of the
United States Government to destroy your life? To take away your
resources? To govern what you do? The government has done this to
people, and will do it again.

Tobacco companies, in general.
Here in Alberta there is a waste management facility for hazerdous waste
(Can't recall the name off-hand - will hunt it down) that has had containment
leaks into the surrounding community.  Individuals in this community have
gotten cancers that are fairly directly traceable back to the leaks.

These aren't to the same extent, but they are the same variety.  But then - we
don't give corporations as much power as we do governments.  Under a
libertarian system, this would change, and I have yet to see any solid
reasoning why the abuse of power that corporations engage in will not increase
in scope as the power we grant them increases in scope.  I don't buy the
personal liability arguement.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/