 Off-Topic / Debate / 3590
Re: Libertarian stuff (Was: Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?])
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 20:20:59 GMT

Richard Franks wrote in message ...
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, John DiRienzo writes:
if there was
a four year old kid on your street with no one, no where to go, that if
there weren't some government agency for you to call and make the problem
disappear, you wouldn't do something about it yourself?  You would, 99.9% • of
people would.  So even if it wasn't the child's fault, the child would
survive.  As said earlier, get real.... if you are going to talk to me.

Okay, lets get very real.

<http://pangaea.org/street_children/kids.htm>
<http://www.unisa.ac.za/dept/press/lar/111/lar3.html>
<http://www.ddc.com/kidsacks/>
<http://www.letthechildrenlive.org/>
<http://www.concentric.net/~Vitnet/MinM.htm>

There are, according to the UN, around 150 million children on the streets • at
present. Or is this reality not the one you like to face, instead embracing • the
puesdo-reality of a system that is still at this moment hypothetical.

Life-affirming or not, that many street-children suggests that we can't • rely on
the innate goodness of man. Which reality is more comfortable to inhabit?

Richard

   Hey man,
   You don't need to show me that, I have already looked.  I try to point
out reality to others whenever possible (often to their disdain), and I have
shown some of those pages to people myself.  From what I know (and there are
a lot of different numbers) 80% of the world's population is "poverty
stricken".  Fortunately, I live in the best country in the world, and am
hoping to make it even better.  Those people should revolt this second
destroy their oppression and do something for themselves, because I can't,
and neither can you.  Looking at my country, there isn't such a problem, but
the problems here that do exist are ~caused~ just as much by the government
as they are ~helped~ by it.
   More to the point, those are not life affirming societies in much of any
way, they are more like barbaric societies.  The only guilt I feel is that
the system I am an unwilling partial member of supports (or uses) those
barbaric systems.  I'm saying we need to fix this crap, and you are saying I
don't know its there.  Again, get real.
--
   Have fun!
   John